If you’re going to move with a Singapore moving company, make a detailed research before deciding. Follow these steps:
- Look through their references and customer opinions.
- Examine if they have the certificates given by The Department of Transportation.
- Search the company title at trade registries.
- Price should not be the only consideration. Too low prices may refer to a desperate company.
- Stay away from pirate companies.
If you are going to rent a truck and move:
- State the moving date and time clearly. Call them a day before the moving day and learn whether they’re going to come at the hour you ask for.
- Determine a truck that meets your needs.
- If someone you know have a truck, deal with him, it will be safer
Prepare packing materials for the stuff you’re going to parcel up.
Prepare needed packing materials for the things you’ll pack which are mainly:
- Packaging tape
- Bubble wrap
- Wrapping paper
You’ll find out that they are more than you think. Packing tips:
- Do not pack more than 30 kg each.
- Write the names of the things on them. Mark the breakable ones on different sides.
- Pack a bag as if you are travelling, and take it with you.
- On the stuff you’ll need first, write a note saying “Open Me First” so that you can easily find them.
- Don’t fill a whole box with books; it would be too heavy. Mix heavy and light things. Lighter ones should be on top.
Complete the change of address processes
Also let the apartment building management know about the day if you were living in an apartment building.
- Update your address for bills.
- Cancel old bills and apply for your new house.
- Complete your civil registry procedures.
Single out things you won’t take to your new house
Run through your stuff to single out things you are not using anymore and you won’t need at your new house. You can give them to charity or neighbors that may need them, and have less to carry.
Manage the moving process
Have a good breakfast before your budget movers Singapore arrives. You may not have another time for it. Start early. Earlier it finishes, the better. Start as early as you can but try not to disturb your neighbors a lot. Make sure your mobile phone’s charged. Be reachable during the day. Have enough cash in your pocket. Removal companies take the charge in cash after the moving process is over. Learn about the moving process from the person in charge of the moving company in detail, and inform them about your demands clearly. Get a sample of freight insurance policy if you had demanded one. Check if the plate number of the truck is the same with the one on the policy; and let the moving begin. Notify the address the truck will go in written to the removal firm clearly; also send an sms to the company executive’s mobile phone including the new address info.
Start settling into your new house; lie down and have a sigh of relief
Now, you completed the moving process; you can now start settling into your new home. Don’t try to unpack all the boxes on the first day; do it gradually. Open “Open Me First” boxes first. Don’t touch other boxes unless there is need urgently.
A list of places you should know near your new house:
- Neighborhood unit
- Civil Registry